Pediatric Dental Crowns Specialist in Sacramento, CA
Whether your little one needs a routine check-up or requires more complex dental work, Dr. Kenechukwu Eze at Bubbles Dental can help. Our dentists prioritize safe, effective, and comfortable care so that your child never has to worry about their stay in the dental chair. Contact us today for more information about our services or book an appointment online – we’d be happy to look after your child’s teeth. You can also visit our clinic located at 6030 S Land Park Dr, Sacramento, CA 95822.
Table of Contents:
If you have a tooth that has been chipped, cracked, or requires a filling, then the likelihood becomes higher that you’ll also need a crown. A dental crown is an artificial cap installed over the tooth to reshape and protect it. They are often recommended by dentists as an effective way of restoring the size, shape, and health of the tooth.
Dental crowns are tooth-shaped “caps” that can be placed on damaged and/or restored teeth to safeguard them from further incidents. They are made of a durable, artificial material that can color-match your natural tooth for a seamless appearance. They are also an effective way of restoring the look, size, and health of the affected tooth.
There are many different reasons why your dentist may suggest a dental crown. They include:
• Covering a dental implant.
• Covering an unsightly or severely discolored tooth
• Keeping a dental bridge in place
• Protecting a tooth with a large filling
• Providing coverage for a tooth that’s undergone a root canal
• Restoring a broken tooth or worn-down tooth.
• Safeguarding a weak tooth from breaking
• To keep a fragile tooth together if parts of it are cracked or damaged
Permanent crowns can be made from a variety of different materials which are chosen based on your unique medical needs and where in the mouth the affected tooth is located. Crowns may be made of the following:
• Metal. This includes gold, palladium, nickel, and chromium. Metal crowns are renowned for their durability, rarely chipping or breaking, and tend to last the longest out of all available crown types. The biggest drawback is their metallic color which stands in contrast to the tooth surface. For this reason, they are usually a good option for teeth located in the back of the mouth.
• Porcelain/Metal Fusion. This type of combination dental crown combines metal and porcelain components that are durable and can also be matched to the color of your natural teeth. While the porcelain components are more susceptible to wear and tear, these crowns still have good longevity. This makes them a good option for front and back teeth.
• Resin. These types of crowns are generally less expensive than other types, making them an affordable alternative for many. However, they typically don’t last as long and are more likely to break than their metal counterparts.
• All-ceramic or all-porcelain. If you’re looking for the best natural color match for your teeth, or if you have metal allergies, then 100% porcelain or ceramic is the way to go. This is a good choice for crowns on the front teeth, though it should be noted that they’re not as strong as metal or resin crowns and can also cause tooth wear to the teeth around them.
• Pressed ceramic. Pressed ceramic dental crowns to have a hard inner core and require no metal liner. They’re capped with porcelain, which allows for good color matching to the natural teeth, and they also have more durability than all-porcelain crowns.
Your dentist will provide a layout of which crown type will work best for you based on your personal and healthcare needs.
The longevity of a dental crown depends on what type is installed, how well you adhere to the aftercare, your personal oral hygiene habits, and how much wear and tear the crown is exposed to. Based on these factors, the typical lifespan of a crown can be anywhere from five to fifteen years.
While a crowned tooth doesn’t need any specialized dental care, the underlying tooth still needs to be protected. To do this, you should ensure that you’re following good oral hygiene practices as recommended by your dentist.
At Bubbles Dental, we offer pediatric dental care that your child needs to keep their teeth and gums healthy. Our services range from performing routine checkups to more complex procedures such as installing fillings and crowns. No matter what your child needs, you can trust our team of professionals to provide a safe and comfortable experience every time. Contact us today for more information about our services or book an appointment online – we’d be happy to look after your child’s teeth. You can also visit our clinic located at 6030 S Land Park Dr, Sacramento, CA 95822. We serve patients from Sacramento CA, Lemon Hill CA, Pocket CA, Meadowview CA, Greenhaven CA, Hollywood Park CA, and surrounding areas.